Why is The Power Button Blinking On My Lenovo laptop? Are you having trouble turning on your Lenovo laptop? Lenovo’s ThinkPad laptops are known for their long battery life and sturdy design, but one common complaint with these laptops is that the power button sometimes blinks after the battery has been charged. Additionally, the laptop has great difficulty turning on.
This blog post will explain how to fix this issue. Firstly, we’ll explain why the power button starts blinking, and then we’ll give you a few solutions. Let’s get started!
Why Does the Lenovo Power Button Keep Blinking?
Generally, a constantly blinking power button indicates a hardware problem. There is a possibility that it is caused by a faulty motherboard or power supply.
There are several other reasons why the power button may blink:
- A short circuit on the motherboard.
- Power cable/adapter issues.
- A failed BIOS update.
- A defective power button.
- A loose connection between the power button and the motherboard.
- A virus or malware infection.
How to Fix the Blinking Problem
If the power button on your Lenovo laptop starts blinking, you can fix the problem in a few ways. Here are some of the most effective solutions:
Reset your Laptop
Sometimes, a laptop won’t start due to a hardware or software issue. Usually, a reset will fix it.
- Disconnect the AC adapter and battery from the laptop.
- Disconnect all other devices from the laptop.
- Turn the laptop upside down to find the emergency reset hole. A small hole can be found on the backside.
- Press the button with a needle.
- Then turn the laptop around and turn it on.
TIP: If your laptop doesn’t have a dedicated reset button, press and hold the power button on your laptop for 60 seconds instead.
Try a Power Button Reset
Trying resetting the power button might be able to help you if none of the above solutions work.
- Disconnect your laptop’s power source and remove the battery if possible.
- Keep the power button pressed for 30 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery and plug your laptop back in.
There should be no problem after this, as the power button will be reset.
Check the Laptop’s Battery
It is highly likely that the power button is flashing due to a battery issue.
You can check if that’s the case with your laptop by following these steps:
- It is recommended that you remove the laptop’s battery if you can.
- Disconnect all plugs connected to the laptop, including USB, AC adapter, etc.
- Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds.
- Only connect your charger. Leave the battery out (do not put it back in).
- Try turning on your laptop.
- When your computer turns on, it means your battery is faulty.
The only solution is to replace or service the battery. Make sure the battery is charged before performing this test.
Use a Different Power Adapter/Cable
Next, let’s see if your cables are working. Your laptop will not charge properly if there is damage to the cable or power adapter, causing the power button to keep blinking.
Check whether your laptop is receiving enough power from your AC cable by doing the following:
- Connect the AC cable to your laptop’s port.
- Check the power status indicator light (next to the AC cable).
- If it is on, then your cable is working. If not, check your power outlet and adapter.
You can check if your charger is faulty by following these steps:
- If possible, remove the laptop’s battery.
- Remove all plugs connected to the laptop, including the USB cable, AC adapter, etc.
- Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds.
- Make sure only your battery is plugged in. Don’t use the charger (leave it out).
- Turn on your laptop.
- A faulty charger will cause your computer to turn on.
Tip: Use a different wall outlet. Ensure that you are using an original Lenovo charging cable and adapter. Attach the power adapter and the power cable firmly. Make sure the power cable is not loose.
Use a Virus Scanner to Check for Malware or Viruses
Viruses and malware infections can also lead to your power button blinking.
You can check for this by using a virus scanner such as Microsoft Safety Scanner , Malwarebytes or Avast Antivirus.
Update Your BIOS
Your power button might blink after a recent BIOS update. You can try resetting the BIOS.
Follow these steps to accomplish this:
- Reboot your Lenovo laptop and press F2 to enter BIOS.
- To reset the system to its default state, navigate to the “Security” tab and select “Reset to default”.
- Once the changes have been made, press F10 to save them and exit BIOS.
- Turn on your laptop and check whether the power button blinks still.
- In case the power button is still blinking, move on to the next step.
Check For Physical Damage to the Power Button
If the power button is physically damaged, it must be replaced. Inspect the power button and surrounding area for cracks, breaks, or other signs of physical damage.
In case of damage, you will need to replace the power button.
Replace the Power Button
If all else fails, you might have to replace the power button. The process is relatively simple, but you will need to open up your laptop and solder.
For those who aren’t comfortable with replacing the power button themselves, you can take your laptop to a computer repair shop.
Replace the Faulty Hardware
If you’ve tried all of the solutions above and your power button still blinks, it’s likely that there’s a hardware problem. Particularly, it may be a problem with the motherboard or power supply.
If you’re comfortable replacing these parts yourself, you can order them from a computer parts store.
In case you are not comfortable replacing the parts yourself, you will need to take your laptop to a computer repair shop.
Contact Lenovo Support
If your power button continues to blink, you can contact Lenovo support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my Lenovo laptop’s power button blinking?
There are a few reasons why the power button might blink. It could be a software issue, a power adapter or cable issue, or malware/viruses.
My Lenovo laptop won’t turn on but the power light is on. What should I do?
There are several reasons why your Lenovo laptop won’t turn on, including a software issue, a problem with the power adapter or power cable, or a hardware problem. Use the steps in this article to troubleshoot the problem. If it doesn’t work, contact Lenovo support.
What does it mean when your laptop power button flashes?
A computer power blink usually indicates that there are power settings set on the computer, such as sleep or hibernate.
How do I fix my power button flashing?
Disconnect the main battery and then the RTC/CMOS battery in the center of the screen. Discharge power by pressing the power button for at least 30 seconds. The BIOS should be reset as a result. Reassemble the unit by reconnecting the RTC/CMOS battery and main battery.
Why is my laptop not turning on but the light is blinking?
In this case, leave the laptop on and drain the battery, then charge it and restart it. If this doesn’t work, press the power button with the device off. After pressing the ESC key on your keyboard, press F10.
Hopefully, these steps will fix the issue if your Lenovo laptop has a blinking power button.
You should first soft reset your laptop by pressing and holding the power button for about 10 seconds.
In the case that this did not work, try hard resetting your laptop by pressing the dedicated Reset button on the side.
After you’ve tried these two options, follow the remaining steps listed. There is a good chance one of them will be able to assist you.
I’m William Faulkner, author of LaptopsU, a laptop & MacBook review blog. I’ve been writing about laptops & MacBook for over seven years now and I love it! In my reviews, I try to provide accurate information on the specs of each laptop & MacBook, as well as my opinion on how it performs.
I thrive on finding new laptops & MacBook to review and helping people make informed buying decisions. If you have any queries you can get in touch with me through following social media accounts.