MacBook’s name is really important for finding it on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and AirDrop. It’s also connected to the Apple ID and can help if we lose our laptop. We can use our regular name Wi-Fi and AirDrop, and it is actually good. Therefore, using a unique name, especially for Bluetooth is a very smart idea.
Each MacBook has its own special name for AirDrop and finding it on networks. Moreover, it mostly starts with an owner’s name. But we can change it according to which is better for us. Using the default names can sometimes create confusion when it comes to networks and sharing files. So, it’s a smart choice to go for a clear name that avoids this confusion. Hence, if you don’t want to get into this trouble, then it is important for you to learn how you change the name on Macbook Air.
How can I rename my MacBook Air?
We could change names on the Macbook easily, but it mostly depends on the Mac version. Here are some steps by using it we can change the name on the Macbook.
To Change the MacBook’s Name:
- Firstly, I should click the Apple menu and pick “System Preferences.”
- Then, choose “Sharing.”
- Look for “Computer Name.”
- After that, I will click inside that box and type the new name.
- Then, click outside or close the window to save.
- And in last it is important that the new name should be one word or words with hyphens.
For Changing the Local Network Name:
- In this way, I will click the Apple menu and choose “System Preferences.”
- Select “Sharing.”
- Then I will click “Edit” by the current local network name.
- And Type the new name.
- Lastly, I will click “OK” to confirm.
Changing the Mac’s Username:
- We log out of the account we want to change and log in as an admin.
- And change the home folder’s name (while logged in as admin).
- Then, we will go to “System Preferences” and choose “Users & Groups.”
- Hold “Control,” click the account we want to change, and pick “Advanced Options.”
- After that, we changed the “Account name” to match the new username.
- Also, update the home directory name to match.
- We Restart our Mac and log in with the new username.
It is a little bit tricky way of change the name. So during the process of changing the name, we should be careful. And if we find it difficult to change it by ourselves, it’s better to ask someone experienced.
In conclusion, the name we give our MacBook is really important for how it’s recognized on networks, Bluetooth, and AirDrop. Its default name is fine but it is better to select a unique name for Bluetooth. Every MacBook has its special name for AirDrop and networks, usually based on our name. But don’t worry, we can change it to something that makes it more reliable for us. The default names might sometimes cause confusion when dealing with networks and sharing files, so it’s definitely better to have a name that’s easy to understand.
Thus, the changing steps process is explained in this article. But if some steps you find difficult to perform. Then it’s better for you to ask for an experienced Apple user. After all, having a unique and clear name for your MacBook makes using it for connecting and sharing across different platforms a whole lot easier and enjoyable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I’m William Faulkner, author of LaptopsU, a laptop & MacBook review blog. I’ve been writing about laptops & MacBook for over seven years now and I love it! In my reviews, I try to provide accurate information on the specs of each laptop & MacBook, as well as my opinion on how it performs.
I thrive on finding new laptops & MacBook to review and helping people make informed buying decisions. If you have any queries you can get in touch with me through following social media accounts.