If you want to sell your laptop or your mobile phone.And if your laptop has problems. Then the first necessary thing you need to do is to erase all your data from your device. And then sell it. But this step is not only for the situation when you sell your device. It is also crucial when you buy a laptop from someone and that person forgets to delete their data. Then it is your moral responsibility to erase all their data without interrupting and disturbing their privacy.
But it is very difficult to erase files one by one and also very time-consuming. In this situation, there is an easy solution to this problem. So if you want to erase all your Macbook Air data. The simple solution is to reset your device. Keep reading this article to learn how to reset your Macbook Air.
What is Factory reset?
Factory reset is used to remove and delete all our data from the device. It helps to make clear everything on the laptop. And make it the new laptop, taking it back to how it was when we bought it. It is something like giving a laptop a new and fresh life. But it did not delete important software. It keeps the important stuff on the laptop.
It is very helpful when my laptop has issues slowing down and others. But it won’t do any harm to their main system. In fact, it boosts and improves the performance of a laptop. This reset is good if we want to fix problems, sell the device, or give it away because it gets rid of our personal things. Basically, it’s a way to make the device like new by erasing everything we added.
How to do a factory reset on Macbook Air?
Here are the important steps we should follow to do a factory reset:
- Backup: First of all, the necessary thing before resetting is to save the previous data through backup. And we can back up through a time machine and external device. Hence we can also copy files by ourselves.
- Sign Out: We can de-authorize the accounts. And then sign out of Iclouds to uplink accounts.
- Erase and Reset: For erase and reset we need to follow these steps:
- Restart the MacBook Air.
- Hold Command + R to enter recovery mode during startup.
- In the macOS Utilities window, select Disk Utility.
- Choose the main drive (usually named Macintosh HD).
- Click “Erase” and select the appropriate format (APFS or Mac OS Extended).
- Confirm the deletion and wait for it to complete.
- Reinstall macOS: After erasing and resetting data, we should close the utility disk and return to the macOS Utilities window. Then we should select Reinstall macOS and install it. But kind in mind that you could not close the window during the installation process.
- Finalization: Once the reinstallation is finished, my MacBook Air will be reset to factory settings. Thus, complete the setup process for a freshly reset MacBook Air.
In the end, in this article, we told you that a factory reset is very crucial to secure personal data before buying the Macbook Air or any model. Factory reset is very beneficial to erase all data without doing any harm to the main system of the laptop. You will also know the steps of how to do a factory reset on a Macbook Air in this article. Just Back up the data, sign out of accounts, erase the drive, reinstall macOS, and complete the setup to enjoy a refreshed MacBook Air. This process resolves problems, enhances performance, and makes sure personal security when passing on the device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I’m William Faulkner, author of LaptopsU, a laptop & MacBook review blog. I’ve been writing about laptops & MacBook for over seven years now and I love it! In my reviews, I try to provide accurate information on the specs of each laptop & MacBook, as well as my opinion on how it performs.
I thrive on finding new laptops & MacBook to review and helping people make informed buying decisions. If you have any queries you can get in touch with me through following social media accounts.